Monday, August 17, 2015

They

I've been using the more grammatically correct (at least I think it's more grammatically correct) term of "they" rather than "he/she/it" when referencing my baby. It's just something I've said whenever referring to the baby even before we didn't find out the sex. But whenever I say "they" people ask if I'm having twins. I explain no, I just don't know what they are, I'm not about to say "it" and now it's just habit. And I figure, it's only 15 more weeks (OMG just 15?) so while I still have to explain, it won't be for much longer. (seriously, only 15 more weeks?)

Well I had a doctor's appointment on Friday and my doctor was running a little late. When she arrives at the office she jumps right into work like the pro that she is, but I understand it can take some time to orient yourself after rushing from one thing to another. So she asks me how I'm doing/feeling (she has a great bedside manner btw) and I say something along the lines of pretty good, bla bla bla, they're really kicking and moving in there now.
She's about to check on them with this heartbeat-movement-hearer-thing and says "and you're having twins right?"
I, of course, handle this like a grown up and freak-the-f*ck-out. Because OMG, twins? Dr soc and I are in shock stammering emphatic nos and that all our ultrasounds have found only baby in my tummy.
My doctor by this point is laughing and remembers that no, it is just one baby, but she wonders why she thought twins (once again, OMG) for a minute there. I say it was probably due to me saying they since we don't know the sex of the baby and I don't want to say it, so it's my fault for the confusion.

But ok, I have got to stop referring to baby as "they" from now on. I'm confusing my doctor, who I hope to god knows a lot more than me and doesn't need to be confused.
They kicked in agreement.
Dammit!

No comments: