Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Storytime

The other day at work "the walmart baby" story/movie came up in conversation and my coworkers, who are 21 and 23, were genuinely confused. How was this story even possible? Was it true? (no, but the movie was based on a work of fiction) How did she give birth at walmart? How come security or the camera's catch her at night? How was she able to even hide in the store in the first place? I've seen the movie but it had been a while, so I called upon my trusty sidekick the internets to fill in the the holes in my memory (that's how I found out it was based on a book). 

coworker 1: How was she able to hide in the first place? 
me: on accident at first. She's in the bathroom at closing time and when she comes out the staff has all left. After that first night she repeats the process and keeps a running tab of what she owes walmart for using.
coworker 1: Why didn't they check the bathrooms?
me: I don't know those logistics. I'm just telling you the plot. 
coworker 2: Why didn't security find her? Or at least a camera?
me: I don't know, they must not have needed security or cameras after closing.
both: Closing time? When did walmart close?
me: The movie came out in 2000. I saw it in the theater the summer I graduated high school.
coworker 1: I was...maybe 9 in 2000.
coworker 2: I think I was in 6th grade in 2000.
me::sigh:: Oh you dear children, back in my day in 2000, this was possible. Believe it or not, in 2000, not all walmarts were 24 hours.
both: GASP!


No comments: