Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Protect Me

I was getting a pedicure at Aveda before the wedding and the girl doing my nails was chatting like you do.  When she asked if the pedicure was for a special occasion, I (of course) said I'm getting married that Saturday.

Now, when you say the magic W word to a (very young) 20 something year old girl, they typically start pressing you for any details and gushing over them.  And if they've been with their boyfriend for a year or two more, they will also, quite typically, tell you that they have discussed marriage with their boyfriend and that he is the one.* I know at her age, I was the same way,** so I didn't scoff. (no really, I didn't) And besides the girl was sweet and I didn't mind chatting about the wedding with her.

This girl though, seemed to have a fairly decent head on her shoulders, and wasn't rushing to take the marriage plunge or pressuring her boyfriend either. She admitted that there were a few things that made her unsure.  Nothing deal breaking, but just a few things to hold off on marriage for a little bit. The biggest thing was that she wasn't sure if he could protect her.  And the only reason she thought that, was because he doesn't know how to shoot!

Ok, I admit I laughed at that one. That was sole deciding factor? That he just can't shoot a gun? But oh well, if that's the reason she wants to hold off on marriage, then more power to her! 

* I don't really believe in "the one" or any other of those 'when you know you know' one true love mantras.  Yeah it's nice for fairy tales, but real life happens. 
**I really was. At 20 I totally knew my boyfriend at the time was the one, I would have an engagement ring from Tiffany's at my final crit, and we were going to get married the fall after we graduated. And he did end up proposing right after graduation, to the girl he broke up with me for by the time we were 21.  No, I'm not bitter***
*** Of course I was bitter!  I was something like 22 at the time. But thank god my life didn't work out as I planned it would when I was 20.  I mean, it's been almost 10 years since we dated, they're still together and as far as I know happy, (we didn't keep in touch for obvious reasons) and I have dr soc who I love more than anything in the world. I'd say it worked out well for everyone.

No comments: