Saturday, October 17, 2009

Natural Selection

Food allergies, in my opinion, are god's natural selection.

Ok, I know that's a little mean. It's mostly the people that are allergic to something very common place, such as eggs (you would be surprised how much stuff egg is in) or glutton that I think, hmm, maybe god was trying to weed out something there... Or: if I give you a bagel would you explode?

Sigh, I don't think having one or two allergies is reason to go out back and shoot you. Lord knows there are plenty of people out there that deserve that more then someone allergic to cheese. And most people with allergies are apologetic, they understand it can be a slight hassle and are nice about their special request. I have a friend allergic to nuts and chocolate, and while I would personally kill myself, she's cool about it and it's not a problem.

Once a server handed me a business sized card a patron had handed to him that night. It was a list of all the things they (the patron) were allergic to:
  • shellfish
  • glutton
  • potatoes
  • nuts (peanuts and tree)
  • eggs
  • milk
  • citrus
  • and small children (ok that I made that one up).
I honestly don't remember what was on the list, but it was pretty much everything in the menu. (no potatoes means no vodka drinks. And drinking would be the only thing to get me through a life of celery sticks). And they even had examples of things (example, pineapple in the citrus fruit)

On one hand I thought, at least they had the list all prepped and they tried to make things as painless as possible. On the other hand: why the hell go out to eat if you can't eat anything but celery?

No comments: