Sunday, April 5, 2009

15 on a good day

Yesterday my parent's and I went to the home and garden show (so boring, remind me to never to go to one of those things again) and one of the thanks-for-coming-things was a free wine tasting at one of the new stores in the area. Now I do not care about landscaping, windows, blinds, sun rooms or cabinets, because I do not have a home of my own to do any of those things too. Frankly, I found the whole thing depressing. So I needed the wine tasting. Why did I go in the first place you ask? Dinner was promised at the end of it- and I respond well to food bribes.

Anyway we go to the store, but before the guy ask me what I would like to try, he asks for my ID. And it royally pissed me off. Well, no, it wasn't him and the actual id-ing that pissed me off. It was the supervisor coming back from the store room 2 seconds after putting my ID away who freaked out when she saw me with a wine sample in my hand and furiously (and loudly) asked if he id-ed me. Sheesh lady, you didn't have to make a scene and embarrass the clerk and myself.

I know I look young, so I'm a good sport about being Id-ed. It's just someone doing their job, and I've been in their shoes before. And once they check my Id, all I need to hear is "ok, thanks," I don't need to hear "oh wow, you're insert-current-age-here?! Because that just makes me bristle with indignation. And while I'm glad that I don't look well past my years, I wouldn't mind looking my actual age. Because hearing you look six-f*cking-teen when you are 26, is insulting, and it hurts my feelings to be honest. I am highly annoyed by teen agers, the last thing I want to hear is that I still look like one. And you know what doesn't make anything any better? Saying "you'll appreciate when you're older." No sh*t Sherlock, like I've never heard that before. Because you know what that does for me right now? Not a damn thing. Perhaps I have a warped sense of reality and should not be pissed off about this, but it's just something I can't stand.

No comments: